How to Configure Proxy Settings on Windows 10
In this tutorial, we will show you a step-by-step guide on how to turn on and configure proxy settings on your Windows 10 PCs to access the internet via a Proxy Server.
A Proxy Server is an essential server for ages as it let the network administrator control, secure, and speed up internet connectivity for a home office, small business, and a corporate network. It acts as a gateway that will forward the client’s requested to the target server and forward back to the client when received responses from the targeted server.
As a middle man, a Proxy Server can be configured a firewall that can control and filter malicious requests or responses to secure its client from viruses, malware, and hacking. It can also be used as a caching server to speed up your network clients that access the same sites over time. In this article, we will show you how to configure your Windows 10 laptops or desktops to access the internet via a Proxy Server.
When you have enough information about your Proxy, here what you need to do to enable proxy communication between your PC and the proxy server. To do so:
- Go to the Settings app or via the shortcut key (Win + I).
- Go to the Network & Internet section.
- Go to the Proxy tab on the left side of the setting page.
- Now scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see an option to manually configure Proxy settings.
- Toggle the “Use a proxy server” to On to enter the proxy server information.
- Fill the Address box with the IP address of the Proxy Server, in my case, I use my Synology server as a proxy server which has an IP Address of 192.168.100.5.
- Enter the proxy port in the Port box. Most Linux based proxy server uses Squid that has a default port number of 3128.
- Finally, click Save to apply and save the proxy settings.
Now your overall PC internet traffic will go through your Proxy Server.
To turn off proxy settings on Windows 10:
- Follow the same step to go to the Network and Internet section of the Settings.
- Go back to the Proxy tab and toggle the “Use a proxy server” to Off.
Now all your PC internet traffic will go back through your internet gateway.